Date:      30 Sep 1999 09:30:53 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        "Doug Hubbell" <DHubbell@TecateGroup.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Backup Software For FreeBSD 2.2.8

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 14:42:16 -0700, "Doug Hubbell" <DHubbell@TecateGroup.com> said:

Doug> Does anybody know of a commercial backup software for FreeBSD?
Doug> I realize there is tar, dump, and restore.  I was hoping to find
Doug> a simple text base menu interface that would backup a local
Doug> system, and restore when necessary.

Amanda rocks (in the ports collection), but may be overkill. It's
designed to backup multiple systems over the net to a machine with a
tape drive (or tape robot). It does the scheduling based on priority
which is a big win, IMHO.

You can use it by itself. Run "amcheck" in the morning and it will
tell you what tape label it wants. Then run "amdump" in the late night
and it does its business.

It can maintain a list of files for local or remote restore,
remembering what tape everything lives on.

Doug> I've seen BRU, and do not wish to install.  Bru requires
Doug> X-Windows, or a 80 character command line.  All I want is a
Doug> Menu.  I've used MicroLite's BackupEdge for AIX systems, and
Doug> would like the same program for FreeBSD!

It's text interface, but not GUI. I run it from cron.
Perhaps someone's done a text GUI for it -- check www.amanda.org.

Doug> I have a 8MM Exabyte 5GB 8505XL tape drive on a Adaptec 2940A,
Doug> running FreeBSD 2.2.8

If you're doing more than one system, I can't recommend Amanda
enough. It's a bit complex for the first install but worth it. I'm
running it to backup a couple FreeBSD-3.3 systems, 2.2.8, and a
Solaris Sparc box -- two a 4xDDS2 tape robot.