Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 16:08:05 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ncr scsi: overlapped commands attempted

On Feb 23, 19:10, Dave Andersen wrote:
} Subject: Ncr scsi: overlapped commands attempted
}   I'm wondering if anyone could lend me a quick clue here.  When I boot
} up, I get:
}
} ABORTED COMMAND asc:4e,0 Overlapped commands attempted
}
} from an HP 2gb SCSI drive.  This happens under both -release and
} -current.  I'd prefer to run -release or -stable on this machine.
}
} Hardware:
} P133 - 32 MB,  2 1gb NEC SCSI drives, 1 2gb HP SCSI drive
} NCR wide SCSI controller
} SMC EtherPower 10/100
} No-name 512k VGA card.
}
} The other two hard drives work perfectly.  The HP is detected by the NCR,
} doesn't have a SCSI ID conflict, is the first drive in the chain.  The
} last drive (one of the NECs) is terminated properly.  I can install the
} system on the two NECs, but I'd really rather not go without the /usr
} partition. :-)
}
} Any suggestions?

Yes: Switch off tagged commands ... :(

The HP drive is known to cause problems
when used with tagged commands. The problem
is diagnosed, but the solution isn't obvious,
yet ...

Can you rebuild your kernel ?

Please add the following line to your kernel
config file (for -current):

options "SCSI_NCR_DFLT_TAGS=0"

If you want to build a kernel for -stable,
then add another

options "SCSI_NCR_MAX_TAGS=0"

You can selectively enable tagged commands
for the other drives from /etc/rc.local:

ncrcontrol -t0 -t1 -s tags=4

configures the driver to use 4 tags with both
target 0 and 1, leaving all others alone
(assuming the HP is target 2).

If this works for you, then I can provide
you with another patch, which might allow
enabling tags on the HP drive, too.

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160