Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 1998 20:11:38 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        mantar@netcom.com (Manfred Antar)
Cc:        rnordier@nordier.com, osa@etrust.ru, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CRUSH after recompile kernel...

Manfred Antar wrote:
> At 02:26 PM 10/3/98 +0200, Robert Nordier wrote:
> >
> >Better still, why not try the new i386 loader (/sys/boot/i386/loader),
> >now that it supports ELF?
>
> How do you go about using  /boot/loader ?
> I've been using btxboot with elf kernel and it works.
> I get a kernel symbol not valid when it first starts to boot but the kernel
> loads OK
> I'm using  btxboot-0.8.2.

Using the new loader should be as simple as

    cd /sys/boot
    make
    mkdir /boot
    make install

though you should restore your standard boot blocks (ie. don't use
btxboot).  Then type

    /boot/loader

at the regular

    boot:

prompt.

There's more to it than this, involving /boot/boot.conf files, and
so on, but that should get you started.

--
Robert Nordier