Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 2002 19:56:10 -0400
From:      Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        theapparatus@netzero.net
Subject:   Re: Needing a database solution

Mike,

> I'm hoping someone can suggest a solution for me.  I'm needing to update
> a website of mine that contains over a 1000 articles ... mostly written
> in html but  some written in txt.

While there are many fine databases and applications for managing and
serving web content, for this small number of small files, the simplest
solution may be the best - UFS.

One may not think of a filesystem as a database, but in many ways it is.
You look up the content of a record (file) by key (file name). Not only
does this remarkably fast retrieval system come with the platform with no
extra software, management or integration needed, but it can even be tuned
to your specific usage. In addition, it has been refined and tuned over
many years by craftsmen to work optimally with the rest of the system,
using advanced caching and I/O management.

All you need to do is come up with a sensible filesystem layout.

-Andrew-