Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 13:29:12 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        pechter@lakewood.com
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sysadmin levels today?

Bill Pechter stands accused of saying:
> > I went on a support call this morning, for a mail gateway/web proxy I
> > installed a couple of weeks back.  The customer in question is a
> > software development house; the BSD system is in a room full of
> > Decstations and SCO boxen on which they do their work.
> >
> > I spent an hour of my time, as well as that of three of their
> > developers and one of the directors teaching them :
> >
> > 	How to edit the /etc/aliases file to forward mail.
> >
> > Unbelievable.
>
> I hope you charged well.

Standard rates.  They're like to be a repeat customer.

> BTW -- I found that application developers were less likely to learn the
> administrative workings of their systems then tech support types or
> helpdesk types.

Definitely.  But often the best developers are the ones with the omnivorous
interest, and that generally leads them to at least a _basic_ understanding
of how the system ticks.

> If they're lucky they hire a good competent admin and keep the coders coding
> instead of trying to figure out how to make rsh or tcpip or uucp work.
> It saves a lot of money.

... something these guys desperately need.  Their contract admin is
away on holidas, which is why they felt comfortable bringing me in.
I'm not sure if I should feel flattered or not.