Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 20:29:11 -0500
From:      "Ryan A. Carris" <racarris@racarris.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   X windows on a Compaq Deskpro 575

I have been given four Compaq Deskpro 575s to use in a program to teach
middle school boys hardware and to program.  These are typical Compaq
Pentium 75 computers with integrated video.  Windows works great in
800x600 16bit color but I can't seem to get X to run at 800x600 without
streaking and flickering.  600x480 works just fine.

The video card according to Superprobe (and Windows) is a Compaq
QVision/1280.  The video card has 1028k of memory.  When the clocks are
probed the results are:  25.5 28.32 41.91 51.01.  I'm running FreeBSD
4.0 with the Xfree86 3.3.6.   X is using the SVGA server.  The moniter
is a Sony 15" capable of handling any frequency thrown at it.

If I do not set the clocks or set the clocks to anything over 34, X will
boot into 800x600, but I get streaks.  I'm assuming this meaning that my
clocks are too high.  If set the clocks to anything less then 34, X will
not find a compatable dot-clock.

I'm assuming that I need to add a modeline that would give me 800x600
with a clock speed of 28.32. I've failed in my attepmts to do this thus
far.  I've looked at the Xfree86 FAQ and the configuration pages, but am
finding little help.  I'm not quite sure how they are coming up with
their timing values.

I also can not use the graphical XF86Setup utility.  It will start, but
I get only a grey screen.  Hitting return does cause hard drive activity
so I assume only the resolution is a problem.  Using the script utility,
I can get X running, but again only at 640x480 (yuck!).

Thanks for the help,

Ryan A. Carris
racarris@racarris.com