Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 1995 14:49:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: config, other kernel build tools

> > Because I don't want to install the new one to use the new one.
>
> Since my userland stuff is usually way behind -current, while i'm
> keeping the kernel up to the latest bits more often, i cvs checkout
> the modules config, include, lkm, and sys under a separate home
> directory, and simply run config right from there.  (Yes, all of them
> belong to the kernel in some way, with include being the least
> important one [mostly identical to the regular include].)
>
> Doesn't this also work for you?

Is config the *only* place where you get screwed?

I don't think that config builds with include files source tree relative,
which is a nice problem in itself.

I'm attempting to get a build environment in line with the -current
stuff so people will love me and love my patches (well, tolerate me
and love my patches 8-)) and so they can be CVS merged.

It seems to me that this would be such a common case that it would
be easy to do and have confidence.

Maybe it's easy to do, and it's only my confidence in it not touching
the rest of my world that's what's lacking.  8-(.

Julian has suggeted before that he does CVS SUP after his patches
have been rolled in to the main CVS tree, but this isn't really an
option for people without commit.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org