Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:17:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      The Lab <thelab@nmarcom.com>
To:        CHARL <croftonc@PARACHUTE.WCAPE.GOV.ZA>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk partitions

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, CHARL wrote:

> Hi there folks.....
>
> OK.....now for some serious monkey business. I have a 1,2 gig IDE drive
> that needs to be partitioned for dos + win95 (unfortunete me) and BSD. My
> bios supprorts 1024 sectors and not more. Now.....this is where I need help.
> How do I go about this?
>
> THNX!!!!!!

This may not be the _best_ answer, but this is what i did once with
good results...

Back up any data you want from the hard drive, set the parameters in the
BIOS for the hard drive as they are, grab your freebsd boot floppy, make 4
partitions... (or 3)...

1-40Mb  BSD (bootable)
1- <=480Mb DOS (bootable)
and then divide the rest of the space into however much more DOS/FreeBSD
space you want (with the emphasis on FreeBSD)

Make the first BSD slice / and put /var, /usr, and whatever else on the
other BSD slice.

This should bypass the BIOS boot problem.

-Mit

			Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe
Systems Administrator/Programmer	Project Co-Ordinator
Neray MarCom, Inc.			The Dreaming Network
25 Imperial Street, Suite 210		Box #9, 553 Church Street
Toronto, Ontario, Canada		Toronto, Ontario, Canada
M5P 1B9					M4Y 2E3
v:(416)481-5405				e:thelab@nmarcom.com
f:(416)481-3741				ICQ: 7161728

Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
		-- Jules de Gaultier