Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:59:48 +0000
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
Cc:        Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>, developers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Statement regarding FreeBSD release ISO images

--iAzLNm1y1mIRgolD

[followups directed to hubs@FreeBSD.org]

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 12:24:53PM -0700, Scott Long wrote:
>=20
> Please re-read my message.  Our mirror network is a donated resource.
> We can't go dictating to them that they need to buy more storage and
> wider pipes in order to continue the 'priviledge' of mirroring for us.
> They are the ones doing the favor for us, we are not doing them any
> favors.  We show our appreciation for their donation by being
> considerate to their needs.
>=20

It seems to me that the time may have come for a vertical splitting of
the DNS name space in favour of sites that want to mirror only certain
architectures.  In envisage ftp.alpha.uk.FreeBSD.org, or
ftp.ia64.uk.FreeBSD.org. Of course the DNS could be set up as:

    ftp.alpha.uk.FreeBSD.org CNAME ftp.uk.FreeBSD.org
    ftp.ia64.uk.FreeBSD.org CNAME ftp2.uk.FreeBSD.org

or other permutations.

Something like this would allow the installer software to still know
where to go to install the bits, but would give more freedom as to
who mirrors what.  At the moment in the installer the user can select
a site to install from, but there's no guarantee that it has the bits
mirrored there.

Joe
--=20
Josef Karthauser (joe@tao.org.uk)	       http://www.josef-k.net/
FreeBSD (cvs meister, admin and hacker)     http://www.uk.FreeBSD.org/
Physics Particle Theory (student)   http://www.pact.cpes.sussex.ac.uk/
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D An eclectic mix of fact an=
d theory. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

--iAzLNm1y1mIRgolD

--iAzLNm1y1mIRgolD--