Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 1998 18:41:48 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        knowtree@aloha.com, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Boot message flood in 3.0 current -- bad?

On Thu,  5 February 1998 at 22:03:37 -1000, Gary Dunn wrote:
> When my system boots, a long list of extra-bright messages about things
> not found scrolls by. Odd disk drives and other hardware stuff. None of
> it seems incorrect, but is customary to edit out the offending code?

This is normal.  Your kernel supports a lot of hardware you don't
have, and it's just telling you what it found and what it didn't find.
If you don't like it, you can build a custom kernel which supports
exactly what you have.  It will have the additional advantage of being
fractionally smaller and booting faster (because it doesn't spend time
looking for devices which aren't there).

Greg