Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:08:59 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Walter Miller <wmiller@mediaone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache or AOLServer?

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 03:23:43PM -0700, Walter Miller wrote:

>    Any chance FreeBSD would use AOLServer for their website now that it's
>    open sourced?  It seems like AOLServer would be a better fit for
>    FreeBSD than Apache based on the supposed performance and
>    multi-threaded lead it has (and has had for quite a while) over
>    Apache.  I'm actually trying to decide for myself which one to go for
>    although I'm leaning towards AOLServer but maybe you guys have some
>    good reasons why Apache is the way to go.

Um... next time, buy the *expensive* acid, okay?

There's a reason 60% of the World Wide Web is powered by Apache... not
only is it open source, but it's stable, works well, supports a wide
variety of modules, and is highly configurable.

I've never seen AOLserver. It may be the greatest web server there ever
was. But let me tell you what I know:

1) AOL's instant messenger clients and service are shitty on any
platform.

2) AOL's internet service and its clients are shitty.

3) AOL owns Netscape, and Netscape is shitty.

In all my experience with AOL and its products, I've never had a good
experience. This leads me to be very cautious about anything they
produce.

It strikes me as odd that AOL would produce a web server; is this just
the old-time Netscape server product renamed and repackaged?

Until you can tell me who says that AOLserver outperforms Apache (AOL
doesn't count), and who has had good experiences with it, I won't even
begin to consider it as an Apache alternative. I fail to see
multithreading as an immediate advantage.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx