Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:31:44 -0700
From:      "Foster, Jim" <JFOSTER@CSKAUTO.COM>
To:        "'Greg Lehey'" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Meta-key and 107-key keyboard

Greg,

I tried your keymap file last night and it would not work for me.  After
downloading it I tried using
  kbdcontrol -l /usr/share/syscons/us.emacs.kbd
and I get the terse error message:
  Invalid key definition

Boy!, that told me a lot.  Maybe it had to due to the fact that I really
have a 107-key keyboard instead of the 104 that I originally said.  By the
way, I am running 2.2.7-R, but recompiled for options that natd needs.

Any way, I did some more playing around.  I used kbdcontrol to dump out my
default keymap and edited it.  On a lark I tried changing one of the lalt's
(scancode 056 on my map) to meta.  I loaded the map and IT WORKED!  Next, I
went into your us.emacs.kbd file and I could not find the word 'meta'
anywhere.  What indicates to your system that the alt key is the meta key?

Finally, I noticed that towards the bottom of my keymap file I had three
lines saying...
  105	fkey62 fkey62 fkey62 fkey62 fkey62 fkey62 fkey62 fkey62  O
  106	fkey63 fkey63 fkey63 fkey63 fkey63 fkey63 fkey63 fkey63  O
  107	fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64  O
I changed them to...
  105	'a' fkey62 fkey62 fkey62 fkey62 fkey62 fkey62 fkey62  O
  106	'b' fkey63 fkey63 fkey63 fkey63 fkey63 fkey63 fkey63  O
  107	'c' fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64  O

Sure enough, the left window key printed 'a', the right window key printed
'b', and the menu key printed 'c'.

So, I went back in to the file and changed it to...
  105   meta   meta   meta   meta   meta   meta   meta   meta    O
  106   meta   meta   meta   meta   meta   meta   meta   meta    O
  107   fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64 fkey64  O
and now my two window keys are my meta keys, freeing up the alt key to be
what ever it is suppose to be. :-)

Also, at the VERY bottom of my keymap file I had several records that were
structured like this...
  dtil  '~'  ( 'a' 227 ) ( 'A' 195 ) ( 'n' 241 ) ( 'N' 209 )
             ( 'o' 245 ) ( 'O' 213 )

I can only assume it is used to take two keystrokes and combine it into one
"international" character.  Being one of those ignorant Americans, I don't
tend to use many of those, that's why I am guessing ;-)

So, it seems that I have solved my only problem, but this leaves some
academic questions unanswered.
1. Why didn't your keymap file work on my box?
2. What about your keymap file indicates that the alt key is really the meta
key?
3. And on a slightly different subject, *exactly* how do the letters at the
end of each line affect the keymap.  All I can find in the docs is that it
determines how the map is treated with the caps-lock and num-lock on, but it
does not say HOW to use them.

Thanks for your help.

Jim