Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 2006 00:32:15 +0100
From:      Dunc <dunc@lemonia.org>
To:        Andrew Thompson <thompsa@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Layer2 VPN

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 11:41:07AM +0100, Dunc wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I've been trying to create a layer2 VPN using FreeBSD boxes as the gateways.
>>
>> The 2 methods I thought of are:-
>>
>> a) Create a tunnel between the 2 gateways using gif interfaces, and
>> bridge the gifs onto a real NIC.
>>
>> Both methods seem to work fine, unless I try and put 802.1Q traffic down
>> the VPN, in which case neither method works.
>>

> This should work fine with vlan headers, do you have any indication of
> where the problem is? you may need to get packet dumps at the sending
> and receiving ends.
>
> Grab a tcpdump at the sending bridge0, sending interface, receiving
> interface, receiving bridge0. You can send them to me if you need help
> deciphering them.
>

> cheers,
> Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I couldn't see why it wouldn't either. It's just an ethernet frame with
an extra field filled in AIUI

I did do dumps earlier, and the problem seemed to be around about the
bridge device at the far end as I pinged, however I will start again
from scratch tomorrow and get some data. I was on a bit of a mission
today as I need to have a working solution soon, so I tried combinations
of OS and tunnel techs. The only actual success I have had so far is
Linux with OpenVPN in tap mode.

Anyway, thanks for your help so far and I shall return.

Cheers,

Dunc