Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2012 15:46:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Darrel <levitch@iglou.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [solved]: to move csup 90 to subversion 91rc

On Mon, 3 Sep 2012, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> On 03/09/2012 19:00, Darrel wrote:
>> Could I then run:
>>
>> svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/releng/[ 91 9.1] /usr/ports/
>>
>> or | and
>>
>> svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/stable/9 /usr/ports/ ?
>>

> Why don't you try it and see?  All you'll get is an error message
> essentially saying 'file not found.'

After reading so many of your intelligent posts, then I typically default
to believing in your methods.

To get svn:// to work then the fileserver, i.e.,  -fbsd9 and at the moment
becoming -fbsd91 required service svn added outbound in pf.conf.  The
gateway is -obsd51 and needed the port number out in pf.conf, since svn is
not included in /etc/services.  :)

> Simply put, there isn't a path ports/releng/9.1 or ports/stable/9 in
> the FreeBSD SVN repository.  Look here if you don't believe me:
>
> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/
>
> Click on 'ports' and look at the subdirectories under there.
>
> The *only* bit of the SVN repository that follows the branching
> structure you seem so enamoured of is base -- the system sources.
> Get that clear in your head, and you will have a much better time of it.

The releases seem neat to me because fbsd reports to have security
officers tracking the specified version.  I am not necessarily enamoured
with it.  I have followed -stable and -current before.

I can use portsnap as before, or experiment.  I might try:

svn co svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports /usr/ports

I probably know everything for my purposes at this point.

As the fileserver is building, some of the points seem obvious now.
Thanks to you and Lowell.

Darrel