Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:43:38 -0500
From:      Christopher Petrilli <petrilli@amber.org>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disapointing security architecture

On Fri, Mar 12, 1999 at 04:21:47PM +0100, The Unicorn wrote:

> You are referring  to the Orange Book, published by  the U.S. Department
> of Defense. Also  known as Trusted Computer  Systems Evaluation Criteria
> (TCSEC), CSC-STD-001-S3, 1983.  Part of the rainbow series. As  far as I
> know these are still available online. Check out:

When I get home I'll post the information, but you can call the NSA and
they will send you a set for free :-)  I've got mine, don't you have
yours? ;-)

> Absolutely, but beware... Things got rather nasty when M$ announced that
> NT was  C2 compliant (but  only when networking  was disabled :-).  If I
> remember correctly this  kind of certification is not  only dependend on
> system software, but also on the hardware used during the certification.
> Therefor C2 certification  on PC hardware may not really  be what we are
> looking for... Then again I could be remembering incorrectly.

Acutally, there's some discussion in the gov't world about filing a
lawsuit about misrepresentation oer this one... they continue to claim
NT is "C2 certified" when in fact, it's not... and it's especially not
with a floppy or a network card installed.  It's pushed against the
Orangle Book standards, not the Red Book (Network INterpretation).
Honestly, however, it's important to understand that this is not where
things are going.  The Common Criteria are where things are going, and
these look a lot like the UK-based ITSEC standards, in that they are
more focused and allow different parts of the OS to meet different
standards---mix and match as it were.

The biggest problem with certification is that 1) it requires a HUGE
HUGE HUGE amount of documentation, 2) it requires someone to "own" the
product in ordetr to be responsible for problems, 3) it requires a good
bit of money.  Not that I think this is a bad idea, but this is probably
something for FreeBSD4, no earlier definately... in fact, it could take
2 years to get everything certified, if you move quickly :-)

Chris