Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 1997 21:27:10 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        tom@sdf.com (Tom Samplonius)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: old "make reinstall" bug

Tom Samplonius stands accused of saying:

>   However, it just doesn't work.  "make reinstall" has never worked
> properly in 2.2, as far as I know.

Then let me correct you 8)

> Every time I've done a "make
> world", then a "make reinstall" on another server, I need to
> butched up the source tree to get "make reinstall" to complete.  Perhaps
> it because I use a separte object tree, and everyone else build the object
> files in the source tree?

No, almost nobody does.  However, let me make a stab at it; you mount
the built src and obj trees (you need both, remember?) via NFS, correct?

Now, at a guess, I would say that the mounted src tree does _not_ have
the same "real" path as the original used when building.  Am I getting
warm?

>   I also need to do a "make objlink" to build the obj symlinks into the
> object tree into order to get "make reinstall" to start installing the
> libs.

This is a dead giveaway.  You _must_ have the src tree in the _exact_
same location for 'reinstall' as it was when built, as the "real" path
of the root of the source tree is used to keep separate builds
isolated under /usr/obj.  'make objlink' shortcuts this by using the
canonical path which is probably correct in order to locate and link
to the object tree.

There was a discussion about a year ago which indicated that this
problem may be related to different shells handling PWD differently.

In any case, if you mount your source tree in the correct location,
and have an updated 'make', reinstall will work.  Trust me.