Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:19:18 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        David Banning <david@skytracker.ca>
Cc:        Matthias Teege <matthias@mteege.de>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question on samba install

David Banning wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 09:11:55AM +0100, Matthias Teege wrote:
>>David Banning <david@skytracker.ca> writes:
>>
>>>If I install samba without cups, is it still possible to print with samba?
>>
>>Yes, you can use lpr or lprng with samba.
>
> Thanks Matthias. What is the reason that cups is the default installation?

Pretty much because CUPS is the next generation of printing protocols.
New versions of Windows support CUPS directly, and CUPS can be
implemented on just about any Unix-like system (including Mac OS X,
which ships with a CUPS client).
So it makes sense to support CUPS out of the box, because it seems like
everyone is migrating to it.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies