Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 07:55:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "J. Seth Henry" <jshenry@lusitania.sunsecure.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Healthd problems: followup

J. Seth Henry <jshenry@lusitania.sunsecure.net> types:
> Sorry for not including all pertinate info:
> I am using FreeBSD 4.1-R, and the healthd version is 0.5.4

Did you install that version from ports or a package? If not, you
might try doing that. I've been using the ported version for a while
now.

The next step is to check the notes, and make sure you've got the
right devices/permissions for it. In particular, I believe that it
fails at higher securelevels, because those disable the hardware it
needs to use.

I don't remember when the change happened, but healthd started support
IP6, and trying to open an IP6 port to listen on, which causes it to
fail if you don't have IP6 in your kernel. Adding a -6 flag to it
solves that one.

You might also check on /usr/ports/sysutils/heat as a monitor, but
it's not as complete as healthd.

	<mike
--
Mike Meyer					http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for rates.