Date:      Mon, 13 May 1996 13:24:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Brett L. Hawn" <blh@nol.net>
To:        "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
Cc:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Triton chipset with 256k cache caches 32M only?

On Mon, 13 May 1996, matthew c. mead wrote:

> Joe Greco writes:
>
> > >     I've got two machine with moderately fast CPUs in them.  One
> > > is a Cyrix 6x86 120+ (@100Mhz), and the other is a P90 (clocked
> > > to 100Mhz).  When I have 40M in the machines, the upper 8M is not
> > > cached, and my performance is roughly 2/3 of that when they just
> > > have 32M and all of the memory is cached.
>
> > >     Does anyone know for sure whether or not 256K cache Triton
> > > chipsets only cache up to 32M?  Anyone know what I can do to get
> > > the other 8M cached as well?  I'd really like to have that extra
> > > 8M in there, but at 2/3 the performance, it aint gonna happen.
> > > Any help is greatly appreciated!
>
> > My impression was 64M, based on past discussions with Rod Grimes.
>
> 	Hmm.  That would then imply that there's something wrong
> with each of these boards, or that the manufacturer is lazy.
> Does anyone know if going to 512K cache will allow me to cache on
> all 40M ram?  Thanks!

Assuming that these are Triton-1 chipsets you will find that anything over
64m leads to non-caching. I would highly suggest getting some of the new
ASUS (just my particular favorite) tr-2 chipset motherboards, these solve
the caching problem along with many of the other inherent bugs of tr-1
chipsets.

Brett