Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2007 11:24:18 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To:        Ariff Abdullah <ariff@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, lars.engels@0x20.net, Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Subject:   Re: patch: acpi usermode suspend API change

on 22/06/2007 02:33 Ariff Abdullah said the following:
> Same issue with sound devices as well, but I've managed to solve it by
> implementing own clone manager which require tiny hook into open() and
> close() along with garbage collector and ability to handle various
> abusive behaviour (while : ; ls /dev/xxx ; done, etc). See
> sys/dev/sound/clone.* . It should be generic enough.

Maybe I'll say something stupid - I haven't looked at any code nor I
have any patches of my own, but wouldn't it be possible to manage cloned
devices similarly to how file descriptors are managed ? That is, don't
leave unused devices behind, re-use lowest available device id, etc.
I think that this would be a right thing.

--
Andriy Gapon