Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2007 01:14:01 +0000
From:      "Bruce M. Simpson" <bms@FreeBSD.org>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ermal_Lu=E7i?= <ermal.luci@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MPLS implementatrion!

Ermal Lu=E7i wrote:
> I was wondering why this implementation of MPLS isn't integrated into F=
reeBSD?!
> http://www.info.ucl.ac.be/~iannone/Files/MPLS-Complete.zip
>  =20

At least two reasons spring to mind:
1. It seems to be targeted at FreeBSD 4.2, which is very old indeed.
2. No mention of it in GNATS or the mailing list that I can see or recall=
=2E
3. I'd certainly never heard of it until now, and I've been keeping my=20
eyes peeled for these things.

Also the work doesn't seem to be complete: I'm really not sure that the=20
ability to open an MPLS socket is useful in anything other than an=20
experimental context.

MPLS is not a protocol which is designed with end-stations in mind --=20
it's for routers -- and like any form of traffic engineering, it depends =

on a packet filtering engine at the ingress point. pf could offer such a =

filtering engine.

Whilst it's very cool that someone appeared to have done some of the=20
work...  Matthew Luckie came forward a few months back and volunteered=20
to work on porting Ayame to modern FreeBSDs.

It is more likely a better fit for FreeBSD and other projects which can=20
build on it, so I think it is best we hold off for now.

regards,
BMS