Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 2020 15:33:25 +0100
From:      Cait Smith <kit@hypostasis.com>
To:        Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology>
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMDGPU Picasso on Thinkpad X395

> On 3 Mar 2020, at 15:14, Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology> wrote:
>=20
> Mar 3, 2020 2:26:51 PM Cait Smith :
>=20
>> Hi All
>>=20
>> I=E2=80=99ve been away from *BSD for a long while but I=E2=80=99m now =
throwing FreeBSD at a Lenovo Thinkpad X395
>=20
> Nice. Does suspend/resume work? I've heard that it does on Ryzen =
Mobile, but more confirmations would be good.

zzz worked the first time I tried it, and came back, but I only had a =
couple of consoles open.  I need to do more extensive checks once I have =
actual sessions running to see what works and doesn=E2=80=99t=20

>=20
>> I have had wifi and X running under a recent CURRENT and I am =
currently rebuilding a 12.1-RELEASE (I probably should have partitioned =
the drive and installed both for testing)
>=20
> ZFS boot environments. Forget anything you've ever heard about actual =
(GPT) partitions :)

Thank you for that - I=E2=80=99ve not used them before and still tend to =
think in terms of slices - it=E2=80=99s been a while. They do look like =
they=E2=80=99ll be a better option once I=E2=80=99ve got my head around =
them.

>=20
>> With CURRENT and drm-devel it picks up the GPU just fine (attached =
dmesg.boot) and I=E2=80=99m happy to play there, although I am no kernel =
hacker. I also can see the amdgpu/picasso firmware being loaded with =
12.1-RELEASE and the drivers / firmware compiled and installed from =
FreeBSDDesktop, and I=E2=80=99m just now rebuilding xorg from ports to =
see how that goes.
>>=20
>> My question is this. What is my best course for moderate to =
reasonable stability and to best provide feedback (or testing)?
>>=20
>> I=E2=80=99m considering following CURRENT, following STABLE with a =
CURRENT kernel for the drm-devel port, or 12.1 RELEASE with manually =
added drm-v5.0. I=E2=80=99m beginning to think that CURRENT is probably =
cleanest, though I may want to drop some of the debug and test code so =
that I can get some work done :)
>=20
> Yeah, I use current with a non-invariants kernel (e.g. =
generic-nodebug) everywhere.
>=20
:)=20