Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 15:03:03 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        heller@cdnow.com
Cc:        dg@root.com, ache@nagual.pp.ru, peter@spinner.dialix.com.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: *tetris* files removed from cvs repository...

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, A. Karl Heller wrote:

> >    Well, if you understood what a trademark was, then you wouldn't be saying
> > that. That "xtetris" implies or indicates the qualities of the "tetris" game
> > by using the word in the name is plenty enough for it to be a violation of
> > the trademark.
>
>  I guess I better not install any "Windows" in my house then.
>
>  *grin*

:)

I trademark only applies to the particular good(s) and/or service(s)
registered.  If I pop into my handy-dandy trademark database, (the US in
this example) there are 234 hits on "windows".  Here's the register page
for the one we are probably interested in follows.  Note the section
"GOODS/SERVICES".

--- CUT ---

 MARK               : MICROSOFT WINDOWS

 STATUS TEXT        : REGISTERED
 REGISTRATION NO    : 1959130
 REGISTRATION DATE  : 27 FEB 1996
 PUBLICATION DATE   : 26 APR 1994
 SERIAL NUMBER      : 74-198891
 FILING DATE        : 28 AUG 1991
 REGISTER           : PRINCIPAL

 MARK DRAWING CODE  : (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS AND/OR NUMBERS
 DESIGN SEARCH CODE : 070702 261313 261321

 ORIGINAL OWNER     : Microsoft Corporation
                      WASHINGTON - CORPORATION
                      One Microsoft Way
                      Redmond
                      WASHINGTON 98052

 CORRESP. ADDR      : William O. Ferron, Jr.
                      Seed And Berry
                      6300 Columbia Center
                      701 Fifth Avenue
                      Seattle, Washington  98104-7092
 ATTORNEY NAME      : William O. Ferron, Jr.

 INTERNAT. CLASS    : 09
 U.S. CLASS         : 21 23 26 36 38

 DETAILED STATUS    : Registered

 BASIS              : Intent to Use

 PSEUDO MARK        : MICRO-SOFT WINDOWS
 2(f) LIMITATION    : as to "WINDOWS"

 OWNER OF OTHER     : (0)1200236  (0)1252912  (0)1256083  (0)1259874
                      (0)1673353  (0)1682075
                      AND OTHERS.

 GOODS/SERVICES:

  IC 09; US 21 23 26 36 38; computers and components therefor, computer pe
  ripherals, and computer programs in the field of graphical applications,
   and manuals therefor sold as a unit.
  FIRST USE: 19910827 ; FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19910827