Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 15:47:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>
To:        bsd_appliance@bemail.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pro/ENGINEER on FreeBSD

> My company needs to use Pro/ENGINEER, a high-end (and very
> expensive) CAD/CAM/CAE system.  We'd like to run it on
> FreeBSD, since we use FreeBSD extensively and want to avoid
> using other UNIX systems.
>
> There is no FreeBSD-specific version of Pro/ENGINEER, but we
> were supplied CD-ROM's for the following UNIX systems:  DEC,
> HP, IBM, SGI, and Sun.

Hey, that is a (forgive me) rather naive view.

If you say you have a XYZ program version for SGI, this implies
*a lot* of things:

- a certain cpu type (SGI: eg MIPS cpus)
- a certain operating system (SGI: eg. IRIX)
- a certain operating system revision (SGI: eg. IRIX 6.5)
- a certain collection of graphics libs (SGI: eg. OpenGL)

and so on.

It is not just the binary format. :-)

FreeBSD for x86 should let you run:

- FreeBSD x86 a.out and ELF binaries

- BSDi x86 ELF binaries (don't know about other formats,
  just about the recent addition of BSDi netscape to the
  ports collection)

- Linux ELF binaries (via the Linux kernel module)

- DOS and Windows binaries (via the WINE emulator)

- plus various odd arcade machines (via MAME emulator)

I would say quality is about in that order

Then having accelerated OpenGL based 3d graphics is a different
thing.
I had such with various FreeBSD and Linux binaries only.

There is hope that some Windows 3d stuff will run, if
Wine progresses further.

If you want, you can ask on the freebsd-emulators list.

Regards,
Marc