Date:      Mon, 07 Sep 1998 17:12:23 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.maxbaud.net>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modem Lockups

Wm Brian McCane wrote:

> > Are you sure irq7 is really disabled?  lpt0 normally uses it.  Swap hardware
> > to eliminate possibility of bugs in the second modem.
> >
> > Bruce
> >
> Yes, I am sure.  This computer is so old that it doesn't lpt0 on the
> motherboard.  I have a IDE card installed, not a Multi-IO card.  There are
> no com ports or printer ports in this machine (unless you count the
> modems).  I do have an old SB-16 installed, but not being used/recognized.
> It is there to provide the 2ndary IDE bus for my CD-ROM.

Didn't SB16's used to ship using IRQ7 by default? - This often used to clash
with printer ports (the only reason it would 'sometimes' work is because LPT
ports don't use the IRQ 99% of the time for 'standard' mode / printing ;-)

Try making sure the SB16 isn't using IRQ7, or try removing it, and see if they
still lockup then...

Regards,

Karl