Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 2021 15:55:34 +0200
From:      Robert Clausecker <fuz@fuz.su>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About GIT and committing submissions

Hi Felix,

Using diff -r to make patches works, too.  I used to do stuff like this:

    cd /usr/ports
    cp -r foo/bar foo/bar.orig
    ... hack hack hack ...
    diff -r foo/bar.orig foo/bar

and it worked fine for making patches against the ports tree (unless files
were added or deleted).  The important part is having a flatter learning
curve where you don't demand to keep the entire ports tree in a git
repository from someone just starting to get used to it.  And no longer
supporting ports submitted as shar files will have this effect.

Yours,
Robert Clausecker

--
()  ascii ribbon campaign - for an 8-bit clean world
/\  - against html email  - against proprietary attachments