Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 02:01:06 +0000
From:      Giao Nguyen <grail@functional.com>
To:        Paul Griffith <paulg@interlog.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advice Needed - Unix System Admin

Paul Griffith said:
> I am writing this because, I am currently a Sr. Service Technician for
> Micro Warehouse Canada Ltd. (Mac Warehouse, InMac,  Notebook Store),
> looking to make the move over to the Unix System Admin. side. I plan to
> start with UNIX, and also get certified for Windows NT.

Looks like the right way to go =)

> I know this doesn't happen over nigh, and it takes a long time. I hope you
> can assist me, I have but a few questions to ask you:
>

> 1)  Can you recommend any UNIX training centers that are recognized by the
> industry ?
> ( I am currently enrolled in a UNIX System Admin. course at a local College
> - Centennial College )

I don't know of any however, I am of the mind set that you can't be a
good admin for any given systems without year(s) of slaving away at it.
Unix is something of a mindset too. You need to be able to think in the
the Unix constraints/freedrom. There is also the right way and the wrong
way. Most courses can't teach you that. Also in the mix is the usual
headache of compatibility between systems.

> 2)  Do you think on is better off learning the UNIX tools (i.e. shell
> scripts, pearl, performance tuning, etc.)  than a vendor specific UNIX ?

Erm. Those tools are helpful on all unix systems. The vendors usually
give you some sort of tools but still a little scripting goes a long
way.

--
Giao Nguyen                                                   540-231-7948
FIS Technologies                     Software Design and Network Solutions