Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 14:05:42 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com (David O'Brien)
Cc:        imp@village.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: conditionally including <sys/param.h>

> > : to get a new cpp symbol added (like __44bsd__ or something).
> >
> > This is a bad idea, since it has lost a lot of its potential meaning
> > with so many 44bsd derived systems that pick and chose between 4.4 and
> > 4.4 Lite 2.
>
> Then what would you suggest?  Are they really more different than all the
> various sysVr4 that define __svr4__?  How close is Solaris, UnixWare, and
> Irix?

When DMR sent his "jeremiad" to the ANSI C committee, I sent in my
own in support of a couple of his points.  I also suggested "#ifclude"
or something similar be used to conditionally include a header file
if it existed.  Unfortunately, I guess it just didn't make the cut,
or was lost in the glare from other commentary...  8-(.

#ifclude <sys/param.h>

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org