Date:      Tue, 06 Jan 1998 16:36:36 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        pb@fasterix.freenix.org (Pierre Beyssac)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: funny ETXTBSY problem

> I just noticed the following problem: you can't copy over an
> executable after it has been run once since boot time.
>
> This is fairly easy to reproduce:
>
> $ cp /bin/sh /tmp
> $ echo echo hello there | /tmp/sh
> hello there
> $ cp /bin/sh /tmp
> cp: /tmp/sh: Text file busy

Interesting.  I don't see this behavior with my Dec 22nd kernel, so
it must have come in after that.  I did notice that the sticky
bit had interesting behavior, however, when I first tried this as
an average user:

jkh@whisker-> cp /bin/sh /tmp
jkh@whisker-> echo echo hello there | /tmp/sh
hello there
jkh@whisker-> cp /bin/sh /tmp
cp: /tmp/sh: Permission denied

Hmmm.  I thought it was only supposed to refuse this request if somebody
*else* tried to replace my file in /tmp! :-)

					Jordan