Date:      Thu, 01 Oct 1998 09:05:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DPT_RESET - Do We Still Need It?

Please post back ONLY on FreeBSD-SCSI!

Some time ago (pre-CAM) there was a need to disable the DPT driver feature
which causes the controller to flush caches and shutdown during kernel
shutdown.

The problem manifested itself by shutting the kernel down (including calls
to all registered at_shutdown functions), then proceeding to do massive I/O
to the (already shutdown) disk subsystem.  This was during kernel panics
that resulted in kernel dumps.

The ``feature'' I added to the DPT driver was to actually ignore the
shutdown command and just introduce a delay instead.

The Question:  Do we still need the added feature, or does the kernel/CAM
now shuts down as should have been (No I/O after closure)?

Sincerely Yours,                 Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG
                                             770.265.7340
Simon Shapiro

Unwritten code has no bugs and executes at twice the speed of mouth