Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:00:02 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Igor Roshchin <str@giganda.komkon.org>
Cc:        kris@FreeBSD.ORG, rraykov@sageian.com, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem using sysinstall

--O5XBE6gyVG5Rl6Rj

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 04:48:39PM -0500, Igor Roshchin wrote:

> Well, although we all understand what is "The Good Thing",
> the reality of life makes us to do some compromises.
> I believe, several (I would even say `many' )
> people on this list have done upgrades=20
> (either via "make world" or via sysinstall)  a) remotely

Many people like to jump out of planes for thrills, too :-)

> What can be done about it ?
> 1. Obvious way: Make a statement "This is a BAD thing",
> so if you do it, it's your problem.
> (I am not criticizing or flaming anybody here.)

Already done :)

> 2. May be keep such possibilities (multiuser-mode upgrade)

The problem is endemic to what sysinstall is doing. Installing the bin
distribution overwrites /etc, which resets settings to the
default. Theres no way to keep your system secure until you go back
and merge your changes. Thats why you have to make it appropriately
single-user until you've done that step.

Kris

--O5XBE6gyVG5Rl6Rj

--O5XBE6gyVG5Rl6Rj--