Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 2004 20:00:59 +0200
From:      Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To:        Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xorg-server anyone?

On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 12:27:51PM +0200, Dejan Lesjak wrote:
> Marius Strobl wrote:
> > I guess you are refering to the former patch-xf86Events.c. It's part
> > of XFree 4.4 and Xorg 6.7 but I don't get why this was sufficient to
> > make Sun keyboards on FreeBSD working. Both XFree and Xorg have two
> > keyboard drivers, the old "built-in keyboard driver" and the new "kbd"
> > driver with MD modules. Both drivers basically assumes that every key-
> > board is a PC/AT one on FreeBSD. I think part of the explanation why
> > the XFree port works is that it uses the new driver while the Xorg port
> > uses the old one. Actually both "drivers" are splattered over a lot of
> > source and it's a bit hard to get which snippet belonges to what
> > driver. I also didn't find the knob to use either the old or the new
> > one, yet. I wrote an email to Eric hoping he has more insight and
> > could help clarify this but didn't get an answer, yet.
> >
> > Marius
>
> ABout the keyboard driver being used: both xfree 4.4 and xorg 6.7 use old
> 'keyboard' driver, xorg 6.8 will use the new 'kbd' driver. You can switch
> between them in "InputDevice" section for keyboard - for old driver:
> Driver "keyboard"
> for new one:
> Driver "kbd"

Ah! I got confused when looking at different PLISTs and mistakenly
thought the XFree server ports would compile the new driver while the
Xorg port usese the old one and therefore was searching for a compile-
time option.

> Does switching between those two result in any difference?

No. With an unchanged xorg-server-6.7.0_7 Sun keyboards work with
neither of the two keyboard drivers under FreeBSD. With my patch for
f86Events.c the old one works but the new one still doesn't (sort of
expected from the code). Ok, I now completely don't understand why
the old driver did work in XFree, i.e. why the old patch for
f86Events.c was sufficient.

Marius