Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 1995 10:47:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI target

> I've added a SCSI target device.  Using this you can act as a target
> and another system acting as an initiator can send data to you over
> the SCSI bus.
>
> However, the only host adapter that supports this is the Adaptec
> 1542B.  The 1542C will hang the bus big time if you put it into
> target mode, so I've locked it out.

Great!  But one of my 1542B's bit the dust about a month ago so now
I only have one of them :-( :-(.

> I have little hope that most of the commercial firmware will support
> this properly, so if some of our firmware crankers want to start
> cranking firmware they can look at the isa/aha1542c to get a feel
> for how it should act.  I'll have a Acculogic board with the NCR
> 825 in house for a while.

If you loose that card and still need one to work with I can arrange
to put an NCR 53C810 controller in your house on a permanent loan
basis.

> Basically there is an escape added to put the host adapter in target
> mode.  Once it is in target mode it must respond to the mandatory
> commands:  INQUIRY, REQUEST SENSE, SEND DIAGNOSTIC and TEST UNIT
> READY as well as the two data transfer commands SEND DATA and
> RECEIVE DATA.
>
> The 1542 model is good, and I suggest we just use that as much as
> possible.
>
> You can set up a data transfer in advance, with information that
> indicates which initiator it is for, and then when that initiator
> connects the board does the transfer.
>
> If an initiator connects to the 1542 when it doesn't have a transfer
> set up for that initiator, the 1542 will disconnect, generate a
> device interrupt, and report the ID and LUN of the initiator that
> connected as well as the amount of data the initiator wants to
> transfer.
>
> Eventually I'd like to add support for reserving units on the SCSI
> bus, sharing read only disk partitions, and running TCP/IP over
> SCSI using target mode capable host adapters.  I think that could
> make for a nice little cluster.

Well, with 100MB/S ethernet support now being a reality TCP/IP over
SCSI only has an advantage for *wide* scsi controllers.