Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2012 10:07:00 +0100
From:      Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Subject:   Re: portmaster and pkgng

On 23 Jul 2012 09:44, "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'd like to try pkgng with portmaster. I see that "pkg2ng" is involving
> the directory /var/db/pkg, so this implies that there may implications
> also for usage with ports-mgmt/portmaster. portmaster is supposed to be
> the tool completely dependend on system's toolsets, isn't it?
>
> I know that "pkg" is supposed to be more for binary maintainance of the
> system, but I'd like to be "stuck" with compiling my ports. Is there an
> issue with that?
>
> Thanks inadvance and sorry for the (naive) noise.

Of course you can stay with compiling your ports directly, but I think
you'll be so amazed with how easy it is to make binary package sets
yourself and use them that you'll use them instead :). You still have all
the advantages of compiling from source.

http://blog.etoilebsd.net/post/Home_made_pkgng_repo

Chris