Date:      Sat, 02 Dec 2006 09:59:23 +0100
From:      Christian Brueffer <brueffer@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kirk Davis <Kirk.Davis@epsb.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Broadcom (bce) support and POLLING

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 08:42:02AM -0700, Kirk Davis wrote:
> Hi,
> 	We have just upgraded to a Dell 2950 for our main BGP router.
> With the constant rise in traffic through the box, I have started to
> notice some dropped packets so I figured I would take a look at putting
> the interfaces into polling more to squeeze a little more packets
> through them.
>=20
> 	I have added the DEVICE_POLLING and HZ=3D1000 to the kernel.  I
> turned on polling for the bce interfaces and they pass traffic at low
> volumes (like ping tests).  If I put my fluke traffic generators on
> either side of the box and try to ramp it up to even 100Mb (they are Gig
> links) then the interfaces will stop responding.  Turning off polling
> will get them to respond again.
>=20
> 	I know that the bce support in still quite new.  Has anyone else
> testing with polling and the bce interfaces?  Is there any more
> information that I can get for the developers to help track this down.
> The system is not in production right now so I can use it for testing.
>=20

That's my fault.  When David's driver was added, I saw the polling
compile time option was supported and concluded that polling works with
this driver (David told me it wasn't tested afterwards).

I'll remove the bce entry from polling(4) and the polling entry from
bce(4) for now.

- Christian

--=20
Christian Brueffer	chris@unixpages.org	brueffer@FreeBSD.org
GPG Key:	 http://people.freebsd.org/~brueffer/brueffer.key.asc
GPG Fingerprint: A5C8 2099 19FF AACA F41B  B29B 6C76 178C A0ED 982D

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM--