Date:      Fri, 09 Oct 1998 11:44:42 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Robert Huff" <rhuff@cybercom.net>
Subject:   Re: p-II 400 + 2.2.7 = panic??

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998 01:30:31 -0400 (EDT), Robert Huff wrote:

>The formal complaint is something
>about "unknown CPU class".
>	The current kernel is custom, congifured to run on the old CPU (a
>Cyrix P-166),  I was under the impression it shouldn't have trouble
>being bumped to a Pentium - am I wrong?

You didn't bump it to a Pentium (586 class), you bumped it to a Pentium
II (686 class)

>	Anybody got any clues?  Or am I going to have to load a GENERIC
>kernel and re-compile?

I'd bet that when you custom configured the kernel you commented out
the following line:
cpu	"I686_CPU"

So, as you suspected, you'll have to boot a GENERIC kernel and
recompile.  In the future, I suggest that you compile a kernel with
only 386 and 486 commented out.
Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.