Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2000 10:22:12 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Linda Foley <lfoley@rocler.qc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Package system

Linda Foley said on Jun 14, 2000 at 23:38:18:
> Hi,
>     does FreeBSD have a good package system?  Can I find most software
> in that package format?  Is there a tool like apt-get in Linux Debian
> (which automatically downloads the package and dependancies and installs
> everything)?

Yes, it does all that.  man pkg_add
However, if your machine is reasonably fast (so that compiling a
normal package from source won't take forever) and you have a
reasonable internet connection, I'd suggest you use the ports tree
instead.  See the handbook for details.  Once the ports tree is
installed on your system (it may occupy 100-120 MB and contains
information on around 3500 packages) all you have to do to
install, say, gnome is
  cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome
  make install clean
this will retrieve the source files from their ftp sites or from
www.freebsd.org, all dependencies (gtk, libpng, etc, whatever you don't
already have installed), build and install everything, and clean up
all the work areas afterwards.

R.