Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 13:29:19 +1000 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Paul=20Jansen?= <vlaero@yahoo.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mformat (from mtools) broken in freebsd 4.1?

Is mformat able to make a bootable dos filesystem?

I've done:

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/usr/tmp/bootfloppy

then done this witha blank floppy in the drive:

dd if=/usr/tmp/bootfloppy of=/dev/fd0

This results in a copy of the floppy that is bootable
(I tested this disk out by booting a system with it).

I try creating an image with mformat.  Firstly, with a
bootable msdos 6.22 floppy in the drive:

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/usr/tmp/bootblock bs=512 count=1

Then I made an entry in ~/.mtoolsrc to declare a dos
filesystem to be mapped to a file:

drive x: file="/usr/tmp/bootfloppy"

then format the x: drive:

mformat -C -t 80 -s 18 -h 2 -B /usr/tmp/bootblock x:

Then, making sure the bootable floppy is in the drive
again I try copying the required msdos system files to
the X: image

mcopy -pm a:/io.sys a:/msdos.sys a:/command.com x:/

I then dump the x: drive image to a blank floppy:

dd if=/usr/tmp/bootfloppy of=/dev/fd0

I then try and boot a system off this and I get:

Non-system disk or disk error
replace and press and key when ready

Why is this happening?

Thanks.