Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 17:12:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      lonnie@outstep.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD and Restricting Users

Hello,

I have been looking at various possible solutions for a problem that we are
working on and I am not sure if FreeBSD can handle it any better than Linux.

The problem is this. We are setting up a SPECIALIZED Xserver that will allow
users to connect to xdm via XDMCP.

The basic problem is this. It is very easy to keep a user from entering into a
directory after they have logged in, but it is VERY hard to keep a user locked
into their HOME directory.

We have looked at chrooted solutions as well, but they fail when a user logs in
through XDM and start up an application like Netscape or StarOffice. Once that
happens, they are free to navigate throughout the system.

Can FreeBSD solve the problem of preventing a user from leaving their HOME
directory while still allowing them to run OpenOffice?

Best Regards,
Lonnie Cumberland