Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 23:29:30 -0500
From:      "Stephen Hoover" <shooverfbn@442spot.com>
To:        "Jerry McAllister" <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Questions about vinum and failure of root partition

> Yes, if you lose root you are dead.
> Well, that is what backups are for.
> If you are mirroring everything but a small root, it will take
> less to get back up.  You will only have to build a new root.
> You can use the extra space you would have used for the root mirror
> to hold an ondisk backup of root - the dump to disk would both write
> and restore much quicker than tape.
>
> I can guess at a few reasons that root isn't mirrored, but I don't
> know the official reasons.  It would seem like a nice thing to be
> able to do, though.
>
> ////jerry

Well yes backups are always necessary. I don't claim to be worldly
knowledgeable in every OS, but all the OS's *I* personally have
worked with, that have implemented software raid, you are able to
mirror all partitions - including Winders. Even NetBSD I believe can
mirror the root partition with their RAID utility. Seemingly the point of
mirroring is allow for the complete loss of one drive, requiring only
a reboot at most to be back up and running in a degraded mode,
until the drive can be replaced and the mirror re-established.
It just struck me odd more than anything that it was different in
FreeBSD - at least for now :)

Stephen Hoover
Dallas, Texas