Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 00:36:49 +0100
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        "Adam D. Gorski" <agorski@engin.umich.edu>
Cc:        bdodson@scms.utmb.edu, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SB problem (was: Cat'ing /dev/audio)

Adam D. Gorski said on Mar 29, 2002 at 18:22:59:
> No, I still have the problem. I moved the card around, but that didn't help
> anything. I even took out the (possibly offending) RTL card, but that had no
> effect either. I'm at a loss really... I guess I don't _need_ mp3's, but
> this is one of those problems that just nags at the back of your brain...

If you get good sound output at low sampling rates, and bad quality
only at high sampling rates, I'm not at all convinced it's a problem
with IRQs and the like.

As a quick and painless check, I suggest you try doing what I said
with sox: take a sound which doesn't play well (44100 Hz), downsample
it with sox to 22050 Hz (sox input.wav -r 22050 output.wav resample),
with possibly some options for resample -- look at the sox(1) man
page, and do the same for various other rates too.  See at what
sampling rate you get acceptable sound quality.  If it's 22050 Hz,
that's what your card is set up to take.  If it's somewhat less than
44100 Hz, it would look like some miscalibrated clock somewhere.  If
it's some number totally different from these, well I can't figure
that out...

Rahul