Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 14:28:06 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/conf Makefile.i386

>*BLECH*  BSD systems have *never* (and should *never*) require that you
>have the complete source tree installed just to build a kernel.  Making
>them go through alot of trouble to build a kernel is a waste of their
>time.  Many, many more people build kernels w/out src trees than people
>who build kernels w/src trees.  We are trying to make the system
>*easier* to use for the avg. user w/out penalizing the developer.
>
>Show me a solution that does that and it'll get into the tree.  If it
>doesn't provide both, then it's not a complete solution.  I wanted to
>provide a ENVIRONMENT variable which was set to provide /usr/src/include
>protection, but it was show down.

But I totally support the ENVIRONMENT variable. That is THE ONLY WAY you
can have your cake and ....

For those who want the "simple" approach, the defaults can pick up /usr/include.

Actually, the general case is a more complex.
You are doing two different things and they each need to be self contained.

1) You are building "tools" with which you will later build a system, and
2) You are building a system that will then be installed (on another machine)

In case 1) the includes are those appropriate for the current
system/libraries, and in case 2) the includes belong to the target system.
In general, they are NOT the same.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net