Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 2004 13:55:14 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: 64-bit time_t package build starting

At 10:04 AM -0800 3/17/04, David O'Brien wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 16, 2004, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>  > At 4:02 PM -0800 3/16/04, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>  > >One of the sparc package machines deadlocked, so while rebuilding
>  > >it I decided to update the machines to -CURRENT instead.  ...
>  >
>>  Is there a schedule for getting some fix into the ezm3 port,
>>  such as:
>>  http://people.freebsd.org/~gad/time-64/port-ezm3.diff
>
>Why can't we just use __FreeBSD_version and avoid the extra
>stuff in the port?

a) the way modula-3 works, there is no __FreeBSD_version that
    the modula-3 source code can easily check.  Maybe there
    should be, but this was an easier update for me to write.
b) this update was written before the 64-bTT change was committed,
    because people needed it for testing the 64-bTT change.  As
    such, I needed something which would work correctly before
    __FreeBSD_version had been updated.  (and indeed, we didn't
    even know what the correct version# would be).
c) (less significant) It may be that some users will want to
    update their 5.2.1 system to 64-bTT before they jump to
    5.3-release.  If I had a 5.2.1 system, that is how I would
    do the jump to 5.3-release (once it is available).

However, I have no strong opinion on how the fix should be done.
All I felt responsible for was coming up with *some* fix which
could be used to prove that cvsup could be made to work after
the 64-bTT transition.  The update I provided does work, and it
should work reliably for everyone (both 32-BTT and 64-bTT), but
I have no objection at all to any alternate fix that anyone else
wants to come up with.  I just wrote up the first thing that came
to mind, and that I was pretty confident would work for everyone.

What I added was basically a tiny compile-time auto-configure step
for setting up time_t.  Seemed like a clever idea at the time...