Date:      Wed, 04 Jul 2012 12:46:45 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gustau_P=E9rez_i_Querol?= <gperez@entel.upc.edu>
To:        matt <sendtomatt@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to resume amd64 machine

>> This could be similar to thinkpads, see my response to Honest Qiao's
>> X201...
>> Here's the short version:
>>
>> In single user, set hw.pci.do_power_resume=0 and
>> hw.pci.do_power_suspend=0
>>
>> Try suspend bounce (and if successful suspend) with suspend beep
>> sysctl on.
>>
>> If that fails (either bounce or full suspend) try just
>> hw.pci.do_power_resume=1
>>
>> repeat test (bounce then full suspend)
>>
>> If that fails (either bounc or full suspend) try just
>> hw.pci.do_power_suspend=1
>>
>> repeat test (bounce then full suspend)

    Thanks Matt for your suggestions.

    I'll use suspend for hw.pci.do_power_suspend and resume for
hw.pci.do_power_resume.

    The tests were made in single user with an stripped kernel (I can
show a kldload -v if needed); no firewire, sdhci, mmc, if_ath, if_em, etc .

    The short story is:

       - without bounce and any combination of suspend and resume, the
machine beeps forever when resuming from a full suspend
       - with bounce, with any combination of s/r but suspend=1 and
resume=0 the machine stays alive without video (it gets full
illuminated). With bounce and suspend=1 and resume=0 the machine freezes
hard (I heard no beep because of bounce=1)

    With bounce (when it doesn't freeze) I can do ls -laR /, grep's and
I see the HD spining, so it stays alive with the bounce.

    I tried the same tests (8) with acpi_video loaded and the results
were the same. Because it seems to work with bounce and because it beeps
when returning from a full suspend I would say that the problem is in
the resume code path.

   I could also do all the tests with acpi_fujitsu but it only gives the
possibility to use the acpi controlled buttons on the notebook. The
first time I tried to suspend/resume I was using acpi_fujitsu and the
machine did not resume.

   Thanks for your help.

Prou top-posting :	http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting
Stop top-posting :	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

O O O Gustau Pérez i Querol
O O O Departament d'Enginyeria Telemàtica
O O O Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
       Edifici C3 - Despatx S101-B
  UPC  Campus Nord UPC
       C/ Jordi Girona, 1-3
       08034 - Barcelona