Date:      Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:10:25 -0300
From:      Christian Robottom Reis <kiko@async.com.br>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Subject:   Re: 2940A failing mt operations with Medium Error

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 08:34:38AM -0600, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> >     We're having a problem with our SDT-9000 DDS-3 tape drive, which is
> > attached to a rather puny 2940A. We had it installed on a little Pentium
> > MMX and it was working fine, but since moving it last week to a more
> > modern machine, we've been getting error on all mt operations. The
> > kernel complaint is below.  This is what I'm running:
> >
> >   scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.3.9
> >           <Adaptec 2940A Ultra SCSI adapter>
> >           aic7860: Ultra Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 3/253 SCBs
> >     Vendor: SONY      Model: SDT-9000          Rev: 0601
> >     Type:   Sequential-Access                  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> >   st: Version 20040102, bufsize 32768, max init. bufs 4, s/g segs 16
> >
> > The messages below indicates a Medium Error/Cartidge fault, but no
> > matter if I try with a new cartridge or old, the same error ensues.
>
> The timeout messages from the ahc driver indicate that the tape
> drive is failing to complete a transaction that is in the disconnected
> state.  This often happens if the tape drive is stuck in a retry
> loop trying desparately to either read or write data and thus
> neglects to complete a transaction before the OS command timeout
> fires.

Interesting. Could it be a matter of us just waiting too little, or is
something definitely wrong with the hardware?

> You might try running a cleaning cartridge through your
> drive.

I have already -- a few times, actually. Every time I've tried with a
new tape I've run a cleaning cartridge; hasn't seemed to make much of a
difference.

Take care,
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 3361 2331