Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:52:53 +0200
From:      blikjeham <blikjeham@vierkleurenspreeuw.nl>
To:        freebsd-proliant@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SmartArray E200i (ML350) ''ciss0: ADAPTER HEARTBEAT FAILED''

Akira Norimaki wrote:
> Josh Endries ha scritto:
>
>> P.S. I'm not sure it's applicable but in the ciss man page on 7.0 there
>> is reference to a sysctl that may prevent this heartbeat problem
>>

> http://freshbsd.org/?branch=&committer=iwasaki&module=&project=
> <paste>
>   Add `hw.ciss.nop_message_heartbeat' tunable (default disabled) for
>   NOP-message polling in ciss_periodic().
>   Note that setting the tunable to non-zero can be workaround only for
>   `ADAPTER HEARTBEAT FAILED' problem, and may freeze the system w/o
>   the problem.
> </paste>

I've tried that solution, but something strange occured. On the same
machine that first displayed the ADAPTER HEARTBEAT FAILED problem, it
froze with this 'workaround'. Without it, it didn't freeze. That's the
exact opposite of the expected behavior. On the console it displayed:
ciss0: ADAPTER HEARTBEAT FAILED during initialisation.

> The note frightens me a bit. And then, which non-zero value? How much
> should the right value be? :)
>
> Bye,
> Akira

You can set it to any non-zero value, but one would suffice. It's just a
boolean you set in /boot/loader.conf.

The solution suggested to me was to upgrade the firmware. Now I'm still
looking for a way to review what firmware version I got, without having
to reboot the system.

BlikjeHam