Date:      Fri, 06 Feb 1998 00:31:57 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        Rob Levandowski <robl@phoebe.accinet.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, webmaster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Year 2000 compliance statement?

Rob Levandowski wrote:

> On 2/5/98 6:55 PM, David Greenman (dg@root.com) wrote:
> >   I think for a statement like that to have any value, it would need to be
> >backed up by a commercial organization. For that, Walnut Creek CDROM has
> >been advertising that FreeBSD is Y2K compliant since at least last fall
> >when it was stated on the Comdex show banners.
> >   The closest I can get to the statement you are asking for is "We believe,
> >but cannot guarantee, that FreeBSD is Y2K compliant. We've spent a
> >significant
> >amount of time verifying this to be the case, but it is possible that
> >something
> >may have been overlooked. If a Y2K bug is found in the future, we will
> >attempt
> >to fix it as soon as possible".
>
> Thank you.
>
> That's precisely the kind of thing I was looking for.  It would probably
> help others in my position if such a statement were put up on
> <http://www.freebsd.org>; for easy retrieval. :)

	First off, I agree with you in regards to the need for a www page re
FreeBSD + Y2K. The question will only get asked more often, and a
significant percentage of people who ask here state that they tried the
www site first.

	That said, I would like to point out something that I think you're
overlooking Rob. Several people had very useful replies to this thread
that I think got lost in the penis waving. The operating system itself
is 99.9% sure to not have Y2K problems, however, the APPLICATIONS you
run on it may have problems. Your best bet is to do what the FreeBSD
project did, and set up a machine running a recent version of -Stable
some point in the future (past 2,000) and let it run for a while doing
what you would have it be doing. You should also set up a machine 7-10
days before 12/31/99 and let it run your apps through the change and
into *that* parallel future.

	My point is simply this. You can collect all the compliance statements
you want, but when the fat is boiled away, it's your elbow that's going
to be in a sling if the systems you design blow up. The FreeBSD project
has taken things as far as they can, now it's up to you to make sure the
OS is suitable for your environment.

Good luck,

Doug (who has no official connection with the FreeBSD project)

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest