Date:      Sat, 7 Nov 1998 10:28:24 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kgdb

On Friday,  6 November 1998 at 11:46:44 -0500, Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:
> I am trying to debug the kernel using gdb -k but when I do what is in the
> handbook, this is what i get:
>
> culverk:/usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERNEL# gdb2 -k kernel.debug
> /usr/tmp/crash/vmcore.0

This should have been on one line.  I don't know whether your mailer
did this, or whether you really entered it on two lines.
In addition, why are you calling it gdb2?  Where did you get it from?
What version of FreeBSD is this?

> GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
>  under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
> GDB 4.16 (i386-unknown-freebsd),
> Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc...

On our versions of gdb, the previous two lines are all on one line.

> IdlePTD 232000
>
> kernel symbol `kstack' not found.
> (kgdb) where
> No stack.
> (kgdb)
>
> How do I get rid of the error about kstack above?? Thanks.

Good question.  Why is it looking for kstack?  There is no variable of
that name in the 3.0 kernel.  You need to give a few more details
about what you're doing and on what system.

Greg