Date:      Mon, 09 Nov 1998 10:10:58 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, nate@mt.sri.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux software installation and uname

> They should not do that; they are making the assumption that they know
> better than you how your machine ought to be setup.

Um, no offense but I don't think that's relevant here.  The essence of
emulation is to make the assumptions which work on one platform work
on another, nothing more, nothing less - technical correctness doesn't
even enter into it. :-)

I think the correct thing to do here is simply give uname(1) some
truly switchable behavior, as Steve's second patch did.  Sure it's a
gross hack, but we have to stay focused on the fact that in the real
world, people grab and abuse the output of uname(1) to request
platform specific information when they should be asking for *feature*
specific information and that's just life.  For the addition of 4
stinking lines of code, we can gain the ability to *optionally*
deal with it and I say that's a reasonable trade-off.

- Jordan