Date:      Thu, 01 Jul 1999 14:24:58 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Matthias Meyser <Matthias.Meyser@harz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD is painfully slow on my 486

Matthias Meyser wrote:

> Hi Arcady
>
> On Thu, Jul 01, 1999 at 05:19:53PM -0400, Arcady Genkin wrote:
> > maxusers      4
> try incrasing this to 16 or 32
>
> > controller    wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 flags 0x90ff
> > disk          wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
> perhaps disabel LBA Mode (and reinstall ;) )
> an try to switch DMA on (frlags)

I don't think that will help because 486's used IDE controllers on ISA
cards. They don't even support PIO much less DMA. Most 486's will have
problems with anything over 528MB unless LBA is turned on. There may be
contollers out there that support PIO, which would improve his disk I/O
but I wouldn't recognize the card if someone handed one to me.

Kent

> CU
>    matthias
>
> --
> \\   //      N   N EEE TTT Matthias Meyser, Meyser@harz.de
>  \\ //  eee  NN  N E    T  Gesellschaft fuer Informations- und
>   \X/  e   e N N N EE   T  Kommunikationssysteme mbH
>  // \\ e ee  N  NN E    T  38678 Clausthal-Zellerfeld, Burgstaetter Strasse 6
> //   \\ eeee N   N EEE  T  Telefon: +49-5323-94018 Fax: +49-5323-94011

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html